Kaplan Open Learning
Location: Leeds City Centre
Reports to: Director of Quality and Student Services
Direct Reports: Head of Student Services, Head of Student Experience and Welfare
Employment Type: Full time - 37.5 hours per week
SUMMARY OF ROLE
The Deputy Director of Student Services will take overall responsibility for the strategic leadership and management of the student-facing academic support services. You will be able to manage a busy workload and enjoy working collaboratively with multiple teams including; Academic Departments, Admissions, Learning Technology, Finance and Quality and Enhancement to provide the highest level of student support across an expanding portfolio of programmes, and multiple University partners.
You will be responsible for providing professional advice and expertise to senior management to support delivery of the organisation’s strategic ambitions.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Effective line management of the Head of Student Services and the Head of Student Experience and Welfare; to promote a culture of effective team work within the Student Services department and effective collaboration with other departments.
• Ensure that performance targets are effectively communicated, monitored and managed across own areas of responsibility to facilitate student retention and successful student outcomes.
• Work closely with other Heads of Department and the Senior Management Team to support the development of strategic plans relating to academic student support.
• Plan and implement effective resourcing to support organisational growth plans and strategies.
• Motivate and develop staff and ensure that they have an appropriate level of skills, knowledge and capability to carry out their work.
• Monitor and analyse internal and external student satisfaction data to ensure that high level NSS results are maintained and to implement change and enhancement where required.
• Analyse, and report to Academic Board and Operations Management Board on key performance indicators including, Reverse Start Rates, Retention, Progression and Achievement; implement change and enhancements where required.
• Ensure that academic support activities are compliant with policies and procedures, and that team members are aware of any procedural changes.
• Liaise with relevant Academic Departments to ensure study skills support activities are appropriate, effective and provide enhancement where appropriate.
• Maintain oversight of the effective liaison arrangements with the University partner libraries to ensure uninterrupted access to library resources for students.
• To identify and lead on processes which will enhance the student experience and ensure that these are embedded within the organisation. Maintain knowledge and awareness of sector developments and issues which affect student services provision.
• Ensure that welfare and disability support is effectively resourced, managed and delivered.
• Designated Safeguarding and Prevent Lead.
• Deputise for the Director of Quality and Student Services where appropriate.
• Student Experience Committee
• Operations Management Board
• Academic Board
PERSON SPECIFICATION AND KEY COMPETENCIES
• Masters degree or above
• Senior leadership and line management experience
• High level of personal motivation, resilience, diplomacy and tact.
• Experience of working in a HE environment.
• Evidence of ability to undertake independent work to tight deadlines
• Proven credibility with key internal and external stakeholders including the ability to engage with
senior staff and with colleagues in a variety of roles.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Knowledge of Quality and Enhancement processes in higher education
• Knowledge and understanding of study skills provision to enhance the student experience
• Project Management Skills
• Awareness and engagement with strategic issues facing management in the HE sector
• Experience of working in Student Services
• Contributory pension scheme
• Life assurance and income protection schemes
• 25 days holiday plus bank holidays
• Working hours 37.5 per week
• Central Leeds location
• The opportunity to grow as part of a division in a successful multi-national education company
• Competitive salary.
Please apply with a CV and Covering Letter by 26th April 2019.