Kaplan Open Learning
Location: Leeds City Centre
Reports to Head of Psychology
Employment Type: Full Time – 37.5 hours/week
Since 2007, University of Essex Online has been delivering courses to students from all walks of life - from 18 years to 80 years and based in more than 40 countries. Our students complete their degrees through distance learning using our online resources, undertaking web-based tutorials and lectures on our learning management platform.
We recently achieved 90% student satisfaction in the National Student Survey and were awarded the TEF Gold rating, attesting to the quality of our teaching. At all stages we take pride in providing a first-class experience for our students.
The Psychology department started delivery of the first BSc psychology programme in 2017. Since then we have included new programmes such as BSc Business Psychology and BSc Criminal Psychology. There are plans to develop more courses as well as those at postgraduate level. This makes it a very exciting time to join the rapidly growing department.
We are looking for an enthusiastic talented individual, who is passionate about Psychology and wants to provide educational opportunities to a wide range of students from a variety of backgrounds. Working with our team of subject matter experts, tutors and learning technologists, you will contribute to our rapidly growing provision at the forefront of developments in online education.
· Work closely with the Head of Psychology, deputising when necessary to guide and implement priorities across the Psychology programmes.
· Contribute to the development of new programmes and management of existing programmes.
· Working as a member of the Academic team, taking an active role in improving academic quality and standards.
· Support with associate tutor recruitment, selection and training to ensure appropriate staffing levels, team competence and diversity.
· Contribute to the maintenance of high quality academic content for a range of modules across the course offering.
· Building relationships with key stakeholders e.g. The University of Essex, external examiners, tutors & students.
· Undertake any other reasonable academic duties as required.
Opportunities for Teaching and Research
Teaching and research are not primary aspects of this role, however, there is the opportunity to undertake teaching and research. If you would be interested in developing these skills or undertaking these aspects, they will be considered at the discretion of the Head of Psychology.
Qualifications and Skills
· Hold a relevant undergraduate and postgraduate degree in a psychology related discipline
· Eligible for Graduate Membership of the British Psychological Society
· Interest in education and in ensuring the best educational outcomes
· Strong interpersonal skills, comfortable liaising with colleagues, associate tutors and students both face-to-face and in a virtual environment
· Highly effective communicator
· Good IT skills
· Effective problem solving
· Ability to prioritise work and meet deadlines
· Ability to work independently and as part of a team
· Experience of writing reports
· Relevant Higher Education teaching qualification or willingness to study towards
· Experience of working or teaching in a Higher Education environment
· Experience of managing staff or resources sometimes at a distance.
- Experience of using SPSS and other psychological research related tools.
To apply please send an up-to-date CV and a covering letter showing how you meet our above-mentioned criteria by Wednesday 1 May 2019.
Please note only candidates shortlisted for interview will be contacted.