Are you an English language teaching professional who is passionate about ensuring that international students bound for university are able to meet and exceed their language learning targets - so that they can excel academically during their degree studies?
We are recruiting a Subject Leader, English for Academic Purposes to manage the delivery of the English and Project modules to international students on Pathways programmes offered by the College.
Kaplan International Pathways, a division of Kaplan Inc., offers international students a wide range of flexible study options - from University preparation programmes in the UK, Australia, USA, China and Japan through to full degree programmes in Singapore, Hong Kong and Australia. Through our academic partnerships with leading universities, our expertise in student recruitment, our exceptional teaching and a real focus on customer service and pastoral care, each year we are proud to welcome thousands of students from more than 100 countries through the doors of our colleges.
In the UK, we operate 9 campus-based colleges in partnership with Bournemouth University, University of Glasgow, University of Liverpool, Nottingham Trent University, University of Nottingham, University of Brighton, University of Essex, University of York and University of West of England, Bristol and an off-campus college in London offering pathways to 7 leading well-ranked UK universities.
Kaplan International College London (KICL)
Our job at Kaplan International College London is to prepare international students for university study so they can enjoy successful academic careers as undergraduate and postgraduate students at one of our seven university partners: University of York, University of Birmingham, Cranfield University, Westminster University, City, University of London, University of Liverpool in London and Aston University. It’s a challenging path for our students as they adjust socially and academically and it’s a highly rewarding experience for the members of the KICL team who help to make this transformation happen. In addition to the vibrant learning environment inside the college, Kaplan International College London is located a stone’s throw from Borough Market, London Bridge station and the River Thames. To get a flavour of the college, please visit our Facebook page and for background on the wider company, please visit Kaplan International Pathways.
Our approach to teaching
At the heart of our educational approach is a belief in supporting students to become independent, motivated learners who will thrive in higher education. To do this, we recognise the need to provide a flexible, responsive experience which meets needs of learners who differ in background, requirements and pace.
Our classrooms are active learning spaces and lessons are primarily student-centred. By introducing students to material before class, we use classroom time for discussion, real-world problem solving and project work, with a strong emphasis on group work and pair work. Technology is embedded into our approach – both physically within in each classroom as well as within each curriculum area – from use of engaging multimedia study materials to convey concepts through to online testing in class which allows us assess students’ understanding in ‘real time’. Providing an individualised, differentiated learning experience is also a key strand in our approach. Students have scope to choose modules according to their strengths and intended progression route and get the chance to undertake projects personalised to their interest and path.
For many – teachers and students alike - this is a very different model for learning but one which results in highly engaged students who take responsibility for their academic success.
The main responsibilities will include:
- Managing the delivery of English language and Project modules to students studying on programmes offered by the College and leading on implementing quality assurance of these modules at KICL.
- Providing academic leadership, management and coordination for English language and Project modules, including preparing, updating and disseminating module-related information, active involvement in teacher recruitment and induction activities, ensuring standards are maintained in curriculum delivery and assessment and reporting on student performance.
- Leading the development and implementation of a range of innovative teaching methods including Technology Enhanced Learning that engage and meet the needs of all students.
- Leading on and supporting the delivery of embedded academic literacies in Project and EAP modules and supervising the embedding of academic literacies into subject modules across a range of college programmes.
- Working proactively and collaboratively with the Programme Leader for Business, Law and Social Sciences and the Programme Leader for Science and Engineering to ensure excellent student outcomes and satisfaction.
- Managing and supporting a team of permanent and sessional staff to facilitate the effective delivery and assessment of EAP and Project modules.
- Evaluating overall team and individual performance and delivering performance reviews and personal development plans.
- Overseeing the development of formative and summative assessments where required, overseeing marking processes and feedback to students, and ensuring that quality assurance procedures are followed, as set out in the Pathways Academic Standards & Quality Manual.
- Liaising with the Centre for Learning, Innovation and Quality (CLIQ) to deliver centrally managed EAP modules and assessments and to provide required documentation for the National External Examining process.
- Assisting with the development and maintenance of the College virtual learning environment (VLE) and facilitating student access.
- Providing input for related modules to the college annual review and reporting process.
- Ensuring that teachers maintain an accurate and up-to-date record of student attendance and performance.
- Assisting with the production of reports for students, where required.
- Leading meetings with teaching and support staff, representing the subject area as a member of college management, participating in regular college management meetings and representing the college at events and meetings.
- Teaching EAP /Project modules on a range of programmes.
- Any other duties as required by the College Director or Academic Director.
You will demonstrate a pedagogical approach that is appropriate and effective with international students, possess the requisite subject expertise in EAP and academic skills, have competent management skills, be customer orientated and performance driven.
You will have experience of and enthusiasm for using innovative teaching methods, including Technology Enhanced Learning (TEL) tools in curriculum design and delivery in flipped and collaborative learning environments.
In addition, you will have:
- A university degree (minimum Bachelor level, preferably Master’s)
- A recognised English language teaching qualification (minimum CELTA or equivalent, DELTA or equivalent preferred).
- Significant teaching experience within a UK higher/further education context, and experience of teaching international students.
- Experience of curriculum and assessment development related to EAP and academic skills.
- Enthusiasm for your subject and an ability to inspire students in learning
- Experience of coordination or management in an educational context.
- Competent IT skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, e-mail).
- Strong record-keeping skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Flexibility and willingness to work under pressure to deadlines.
- Motivation to work as a performance-driven team player.
Application method and closing date
If you meet the requirements of the position and are excited by the opportunity of working in a fast-paced international education environment, please apply using our online application form. You will require a CV and covering letter stating how you meet the requirements of the role.
This appointment will be subject to clearance from the Disclosure and Barring Service. Employment is conditional upon successful completion of DBS and professional reference checks. Applicants must be able to provide proof of eligibility to work in the UK. It is anticipated that the successful candidate will be able to commence employment in June 2019.
Closing Date for Applications: 31st May