Business Tutor (1 year Fixed Term, Full-time - 1.0 FTE)
We are looking for a Full-time Tutor for Business (fixed term for 12 moths) to join our teaching team at Nottingham Trent International College (NTIC). Established in 2005, the College is operated by Kaplan International Pathways, in partnership with Nottingham Trent University. It offers university preparation courses to prepare international students for entry to degree programmes at Nottingham Trent University and welcomes students from over 60 countries. For more of a flavour, please watch our video.
Our approach to teaching
At the heart of our educational approach is a belief in supporting students to become independent, motivated learners who will thrive in higher education. To do this, we recognise the need to provide a flexible, responsive experience which meets needs of learners who differ in background, requirements and pace.
Our classrooms are active learning spaces and lessons are primarily student-centred. By introducing students to material before class, we use classroom time for discussion, real-world problem solving and project work, with a strong emphasis on group work and pair work. Technology is embedded into our approach – both physically within in each classroom as well as within each curriculum area – from use of engaging multimedia study materials to convey concepts through to online testing in class which allows us assess students’ understanding in ‘real time’. Providing an individualised, differentiated learning experience is also a key strand in our approach. Students have scope to choose modules according to their strengths and intended progression route and get the chance to undertake projects personalised to their interest and path. This is a model for learning which results in highly engaged students who take responsibility for their academic success.
As a Full-time Tutor for Business, you would be responsible for:
- Delivering modules in business and related areas (such as economics, finance and accounting) to students studying on programmes offered by the College and assisting with the development of modules
- Providing, as and when required, academic leadership, management and coordination for a designated number of modules in the role of Module Co-ordinator. This includes preparing module guides and updating module-related information for an agreed suite of modules
- Preparing module examinations and other forms of formative and summative assessment, marking and providing feedback to students
- Assisting with the development and maintenance of the College Virtual Learning Environment (VLE). Facilitating student access to same.
- Providing input for related modules to the annual review and reporting process
- Maintaining an accurate and up-to-date record of student attendance and performance
- Assisting with the production of reports for students studying relevant modules
- Providing academic learning support to students
- Participating in regular meetings with teaching and support staff and representing the College at appropriate events and meetings
- Any other duties as required from time to time by the College Director and the Programme Leader.Reporting responsibilities
- The main reporting line will be to one of the College’s Programme Leaders.
To thrive in the role, you will enjoy working with international students, be customer orientated and performance driven. In addition you will have:
- A Bachelor degree in business or a related subject area and preferably a minimum of a Master’s degree
- Significant teaching experience in business, finance and/or a related area within a UK higher education context and experience of working with international students
- Ability to develop and update teaching material and preferably experience of working within a Virtual Learning Environment
- Digital literacy skills including experience of delivering content through various media
- Competence in teaching and administrative IT skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, e-mail, etc)
- A student-centered and client-focused approach
- Strong record-keeping skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Flexibility and willingness to work under pressure to deadlines
- Enthusiasm and motivation to be a performance-driven team player.
Kaplan International Pathways, a division of Kaplan Inc., offers international students a wide range of flexible study options - from University preparation programmes in the UK, Australia, USA, China and Japan through to full degree programmes in Singapore, Hong Kong and Australia. Through our academic partnerships with leading universities, our expertise in student recruitment, our exceptional teaching and a real focus on customer service and pastoral care, each year we are proud to welcome thousands of students from more than 100 countries through the doors of our colleges.
In the UK, we operate 9 campus-based colleges in partnership with Bournemouth University, University of Glasgow, University of Liverpool, Nottingham Trent University, University of Nottingham, University of Brighton, University of Essex, University of York and University of West of England, Bristol and an off-campus college in London offering pathways to 7 leading well-ranked UK universities.
Please apply with your CV and covering letter via our online application form, highlighting why you believe you are suitable for the role.
This appointment will be subject to clearance from the Disclosure Barring Service. Employment is conditional upon successful completion of DBS and professional reference checks. Applicants must be able to provide proof of eligibility to work in the UK.
Closing date: 12 noon Friday, 31 May 2019