Senior Academic Tutor (Business, Law and Social Sciences)
Full-time - 1.0 FTE
We are looking for a Full-time Senior Tutor for Business to join our teaching team at Nottingham Trent International College (NTIC). Established in 2005, the College is operated by Kaplan International Pathways, in partnership with Nottingham Trent University. It offers university preparation courses to prepare international students for entry to degree programmes at Nottingham Trent University and welcomes students from over 60 countries. For more of a flavour, please watch our video.
Our approach to teaching
At the heart of our educational approach is a belief in supporting students to become independent, motivated learners who will thrive in higher education. To do this, we recognise the need to provide a flexible, responsive experience which meets needs of learners who differ in background, requirements and pace.
Our classrooms are active learning spaces and lessons are primarily student-centred. By introducing students to material before class, we use classroom time for discussion, real-world problem solving and project work, with a strong emphasis on group work and pair work. Technology is embedded into our approach – both physically within in each classroom as well as within each curriculum area – from use of engaging multimedia study materials to convey concepts through to online testing in class which allows us assess students’ understanding in ‘real time’. Providing an individualised, differentiated learning experience is also a key strand in our approach. Students have scope to choose modules according to their strengths and intended progression route and get the chance to undertake projects personalised to their interest and path. This is a model for learning which results in highly engaged students who take responsibility for their academic success.
We are seeking a Senior Academic Tutor to be based in the Business, Law and Social Sciences team. In addition to teaching and learning support, the Senior Academic Tutor supports the respective Programme Leader in the academic management and quality assurance of our creative programmes while liaising with the other Senior Tutors across NTIC.
Line Management responsibilities
- Support the Programme Leader (Business, Law and Social Sciences) in the line management of sessional tutors in the Business, Law and Social Sciences subject areas
Academic management responsibilities
- Participate in regular meetings with teaching and support staff contributing to the effective overall management of the Business, Law and Social Sciences programmes and student life cycle.
- Contribute to the appointment, induction, probationary review and on-going appraisal of sessional tutors including teaching observations within the Business, Law and Social Sciences subject areas.
- Provide guidance and support to sessional module coordinators in the production of module examinations and other forms of formative and summative assessments, marking and providing feedback to students.
- Provide leadership to the Business, Law and Social Sciences sessional teaching team to ensure best practice in blended learning.
Quality and standards assurance and enhancement
- Implement quality assurance procedures at module level and contribute to the annual monitoring and review of the programme.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date records of student attendance and performance.
- Provide regular updates to the Programme Leader (Business, Law and Social Sciences) on student and module performance and attendance.
- Act as a coordinator for the training and development of sessional tutors within the Business, Law and Social Sciences subject area
- Quality assure the Business, Law and Social Sciences relevant VLE provision.
- Any other duties as required from time to time by Programme Leaders, College Director or Academic Director.
Student learning experience
- Play an active role in the design, delivery and development of Business, Law and Social Sciences modules and Academic Students of Concern (ASOC) provision offered by the college.
- Work with the college’s administrative services teams in the delivery of induction, and learning outside the classroom provision.
- Support the Academic Management Team (AcMT) and the college’s Progression and stakeholder liaison administrator in academic clinics and academic student queries and complaints.
To thrive in the role, you will enjoy working with international students, be customer orientated and performance driven. In addition, you will have:
- Experience and a positive track record of working with staff teams, evaluating performance and identifying development needs
- Ability to develop and update teaching material and experience of working within a Virtual Learning Environment
- Competence in teaching and administrative skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, email, etc.)
- A student-centered and client-focused approach
- A commitment to continuous professional development
- Strong record-keeping skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Flexibility and willingness to work under pressure to deadlines
- Enthusiasm and motivation to be a performance-driven team player
Kaplan International Pathways, a division of Kaplan Inc., offers international students a wide range of flexible study options - from University preparation programmes in the UK, Australia, USA, China and Japan through to full degree programmes in Singapore, Hong Kong and Australia. Through our academic partnerships with leading universities, our expertise in student recruitment, our exceptional teaching and a real focus on customer service and pastoral care, each year we are proud to welcome thousands of students from more than 100 countries through the doors of our colleges.
In the UK, we operate 9 campus-based colleges in partnership with Bournemouth University, University of Glasgow, University of Liverpool, Nottingham Trent University, University of Nottingham, University of Brighton, University of Essex, University of York and University of West of England, Bristol and an off-campus college in London offering pathways to 7 leading well-ranked UK universities
Please apply with your CV and covering letter via our online application form, highlighting why you believe you are suitable for the role.
This appointment will be subject to clearance from the Disclosure Barring Service. Employment is conditional upon successful completion of DBS and professional reference checks. Applicants must be able to provide proof of eligibility to work in the UK.
Closing date: 12 noon Friday, 31 May 2019