English Language Tutors (Sessional positions)
Glasgow International College
Sessional up to £30.87 per hour
*Teaching rate includes preparation for classes and marking of homework and assignments for the class.
Kaplan International Pathways, a division of Kaplan Inc., offers international students a wide range of flexible study options - from University preparation programmes in the UK, Australia, USA, China and Japan through to full degree programmes in Singapore, Hong Kong and Australia. Through our academic partnerships with leading universities, our expertise in student recruitment, our exceptional teaching and a real focus on customer service and pastoral care, each year we are proud to welcome thousands of students from more than 100 countries through the doors of our colleges.
In the UK, we operate 9 campus-based colleges in partnership with Bournemouth University, University of Glasgow, University of Liverpool, Nottingham Trent University, University of Nottingham, University of Brighton, University of Essex, University of York and University of West of England, Bristol and an off-campus college in London offering pathways to 7 leading well-ranked UK universities.
Glasgow International College is operated in partnership with the University of Glasgow and offers programmes designed to prepare international students for entry into this university.
Glasgow International College seeks to appoint hourly paid English for Academic Purposes teachers to assist with the delivery of its Academic English courses between 22nd July and 31st August 2019.
Main responsibilities and functions
- Teaching General English and Academic English classes and, at times, Academic Skills Preparation modules to students on programmes offered by the college.
- Assisting with formative and summative assessment of students through delivery, marking and provision of feedback to students.
- Attending regular standardisation sessions (paid at the administrative rate of £17.81 per hour).
- Participating in regular team meetings.
- Using and developing the college virtual learning environment (VLE).
- Maintaining an accurate and up-to-date record of student attendance and performance.
- Maintaining an accurate and up-to-date record of work and record of hours worked on Workday.
- Assisting the college’s Academic Services and Student Services teams in passing information to students and recording students’ attendance and assessment.
- Keeping up to date with college communication by email and Workday (virtual HR system).
- Upholding the teaching ethos of Glasgow International College.
- Any other duties as required from time to time by the line manager, Subject Leader of ELT & Academic Skills, or the Academic or College Director.
As the successful candidate, you will enjoy working with international students, be customer orientated, performance driven and enjoy the challenge of being involved in projects at an early stage of development. In addition you will have:
- A Bachelor’s degree and preferably a Master’s degree in TEFL or Applied Linguistics (a postgraduate degree in any subject and an undergraduate degree in a science subject in particular would also be considered beneficial).
- A CELTA and preferably a DELTA or PGCE in TEFL.
- Significant experience of delivering EAP/EFL to international students, preferably within an international and/or a UK FE and/or HE context.
- Ability to develop and update teaching material and preferably experience of working within a Virtual Learning Environment.
- Strong interest in working with and supporting the needs of international students.
- High competence in teaching and administrative IT skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.).
- A student-centred and client-focused approach.
- A commitment to continuous professional development.
- Strong record-keeping skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Flexibility and willingness to work under pressure to deadlines.
- Enthusiasm and motivation to be a performance-driven team player.
Please apply via our online application link with your CV and covering letter highlighting why you believe you are suitable for this role.
Further questions about this role can be directed to our Extended English and Skills Coordinator at Joanna.email@example.com.
Closing date for applications: 17th July 2019 with interviews taking place during that week.
Applicants must be able to attend the new tutor induction on Friday 19th July 2019 and be able to start teaching on Monday 22nd July 2019.
Applicants must be able to provide proof of eligibility to work in the UK.
Employment is conditional upon successful completion of DBS certification and professional reference checks.