Location: The post is based in KIE London Covent Garden but may require occasional attendance at other sites within the UK.
Reports: This position reports to the Director of Studies.
The Department/team/college: The Senior Teacher assists the Director of Studies in the overall management of the Academic department
Objective: To support the Director of Studies in the development of the teaching team and to ensure that students derive the maximum benefit from their course by monitoring and providing guidance.
Main responsibilities and functions
Duties – Academic
· To assist the DoS with the overall management of the academic department and to deputise for the DoS in his/her absence
· To ensure the highest quality of teaching is being delivered
· To have a good knowledge of the KIE Teacher Standards and make reference to these for observation feedback, appraisals and other teaching related conversations.
· To mentor newly recruited teaching staff and to instruct and support them in the academic and administrative processes of the school
· To identify training needs and areas for improvement and to lead staff training and development
· To monitor and develop teaching and learning resources to ensure that appropriate materials and supplementary materials are available according to the syllabus.
· To teach a variable lesson bank in agreement with the DoS of up to 21 hours per week dependent on time of year and circumstances
Duties – Students
· To plan and deliver an effective programme of induction for new students including learner training and orientation within the college
· To be the primary point of contact in the academic department for all students and endeavour to resolve issues and keep the DoS informed.
· To track students’ progress, offer counselling and raise their awareness of the various possibilities open to them e.g. exam courses, Pathways programmes, UPS.
· All members of the school team are responsible for all aspects of our students safeguarding and welfare in conjunction with the wider school and company management teams.
Duties – Administrative
· To assist the DoS with the administrative processes that support the smooth running of the academic department
Education and Qualifications
- DELTA or equivalent such as MA TEFL/EFL including observed teaching/Trinity Diploma or International Equivalent.
- A bachelor’s degree as minimum
Work Experience and Knowledge
- Experience and strong interest in teacher training and CPD
- Experience in teacher observations
- Knowledge of British Council and ISI inspection criteria
- Experience of teaching exam preparation, EAP, Business English classes
- Experience of conducting teacher observations
- Academic administration (timetabling etc.)
- Teacher recruitment
- Experience of line management of teachers
Skills and Competencies
- Excellent IT skills
- Has a demonstrable interest in technology and an ability to use technology in an educational environment
- Demonstrates a high level of customer service practices
- Ability to identify suitable areas for training
- Excellent time management and organisational skills
- Excellent communication skills
- High level of self-motivation and pro-activity
- Strong training skills and ability to adapt training to suit teacher’s individual needs and level of knowledge/ motivation
- Curriculum /assessment writing
- Able to manage performance and development of staff
This post holder is required to have a DBS check.
Disclaimer and Revision Date
This is a non-exhaustive list of the duties of the above role and the person specification of the job holder. The Company reserves the right to amend this document as the needs of the business require.
Revision date for this job description: July 2020
Please apply with a covering letter and CV by Friday 26th July 2019.