University of Essex Online
Kaplan Open Learning Limited
Position Title: Curriculum Manager in Law
Location: Leeds City Centre
Reports to: Head of Law
Employment Type: Full Time – 37.5 hours/week
At University of Essex Online, we are ambitious in our vision, goals and aspirations. Our students complete their degrees through online learning using our cutting edge, interactive virtual classroom with rich multi-media learning resources which provides a gateway to a learning community supported by a professional and academic team.
We have been awarded a TEF Gold rating for delivering consistently outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for our students and recently achieved 89% student satisfaction in the National Student Survey. We take pride in providing a first-class innovative learning experience for our students, delivering programmes which blend academic excellence with real-world examples.
We deliver a range of Undergraduate and Postgraduate programmes in Law. We will be launching a new SQE focused LLB (Hons) course in September 2019, and have plans to further develop our portfolio of courses. This makes it a very exciting time to join our rapidly expanding organisation.
We are looking for an exceptional individual with experience of working in a higher education environment, who can evidence a commitment to student-centred learning through innovative programme developments and support for teaching. The individual should have a flexible approach, be passionate about the Law subject area and be able to provide excellent educational opportunities to a diverse range of students. Working with our team of subject matter experts, tutors and learning technologists, you will contribute to our rapidly growing provision, maintaining our position at the forefront of developments in online education.
For all allocated programmes within the Department:
- Review and approve student applications in line with validated entry requirements and manage the student induction period for each new intake.
- Take responsibility for the creation of academic content, considering pedagogical approaches appropriate for online delivery and sourcing subject experts when required.
- Take ownership of the definitive documents, conducting an annual review to make sure content is up-to-date, reflects current delivery and takes into consideration pedagogical approaches appropriate for online delivery.
- Provide academic input into annual monitoring processes including the preparation of Annual Review of Courses and the Periodic Review to required deadlines.
- Ensure content for all allocated programmes is relevant and reflects current academic theory and practise.
- Develop proposals for course variations and review and approve all new/refreshed curriculum content and materials.
- Review and investigate allegations of academic misconduct and attend Academic Offence Committees as appropriate.
- Review applications for research proposals and attend Research Ethics Committees as appropriate.
- Collaborate with the Programme Support Team to onboard new Associate Tutors and take responsibility for the maintenance and delivery of the New Tutor Training Module.
- Manage the Associate Tutor peer review process.
- Contribute to decision making as a member of the Pre-Board and Board of Examiners as required.
- Review requests for Extenuating Performance (EP) as part of an EP Panel as required.
- Participate in the following committees and boards:
- Chair Course Committee Meetings
- Attend other committees and boards as appropriate
Opportunities for Teaching and Research
Teaching and research are not primary aspects of this role, however, there is the opportunity to undertake teaching and research. If you would be interested in developing these skills or undertaking these aspects, they will be considered at the discretion of the Head of Law.
Key Skills and Competencies
- A Masters level qualification in a relevant subject.
- The ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Excellent communication skills.
- The ability to prioritise and co-ordinate own workload and work to set deadlines.
- Willingness to take on additional projects as and when required.
- Experience of programme development in the Higher Education sector.
- Experience of teaching in Higher Education.
- Experience of online teaching and/or delivery.
- HEA membership
To apply please send an up-to-date CV and a covering letter showing how you meet our above-mentioned criteria.
Closing date: Monday 9th September 2019.
Please note only candidates shortlisted for interview will be contacted.