Academic Leader (Science & Engineering)
Location: UWE Bristol’s International College
Salary: £36,000 to £39,000 per annum + bonus + benefits
Kaplan International Pathways
Kaplan International Pathways, part of Kaplan Inc., offers university preparation in partnership with leading universities in Nottingham, Liverpool, Glasgow, York, Brighton, Bournemouth and London, allowing international students to progress onto a wide range of degree programmes at these partner institutions.
UWE Bristol’s International College
The College is operated in partnership with the University of the West of England, Bristol, located on the University’s main campus and offers programmes designed to prepare international students for entry to degree programmes. The first students were admitted to the College in September 2012.
Our Approach to Teaching
At the heart of our educational approach is a belief in supporting students to become independent, motivated learners who will thrive in higher education. To do this, we recognise the need to provide a flexible, responsive experience which meets needs of learners who differ in background, requirements and pace.
Our classrooms are active learning spaces and lessons are primarily student-centred. By introducing students to material before class, we use classroom time for discussion, real-world problem solving and project work, with a strong emphasis on group work and pair work. Technology is embedded into our approach – both physically within each classroom as well as within each curriculum area – from use of engaging multimedia study materials to convey concepts through to online testing in class which allows us assess students’ understanding in ‘real time’. Providing an individualised, differentiated learning experience is also a key strand in our approach. Students are involved in shaping their programme so that they specialise in their area of interest according to their strengths and intended progression route and get the chance to undertake projects personalised to their interest and path.
Kaplan International Pathways seeks to appoint an inspiring and effective leader to the post of Academic Leader (S&E) for UWE Bristol’s International College.
• Responsibility for ensuring the student academic experience is of a consistently high standard, is flexible, responsive and meets the needs of all students within an area of the College
• Responsibility for the management of academic standards, including teaching, learning support and assessments within an area of the College
• Responsibility for ensuring student feedback is collected effectively and used to enhance the student experience within an area of the College
• Effective selection, management and continual development of a high-performing teaching team to ensure high-quality learning within an area of the College
• Responsibility for the use of learning and teaching resources that support the successful achievement of students within an area of the College
• Responsibility for the effective measurement of the student learning experience so that all students reach their potential within an area of the College
• Managing a team
• Responsibility for the innovation and development of learning and teaching within an area of the College
• Contributing to the teaching of Science & Engineering modules at Foundation, International Year one and Pre-Masters levels.
• Working with both internal and external stakeholders including UWE Bristol, regulatory bodies and other Kaplan Pathways teams.
The Academic Leader (S&E) reports to the Academic Director
You will be customer orientated with management/team leadership experience gained, preferably in the education sector.
Key skills and knowledge will include:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Science, Engineering or other subject area and preferably a Master’s degree or higher qualification
- A teaching qualification e.g. PG Cert, PGCE
- Understanding and/or knowledge of UK further/ higher education policy
- Minimum of 2 years management and team-leading experience ideally in education.
- Understanding of quality assurance in UK further and/or higher education
- Significant teaching experience at sixth form, FE or HE levels.
- Experience of working with international students
- Experience of managing and providing academic leadership to a team of staff.
- A student-centered and client-focused approach
- Strong organizational, record-keeping and report-writing skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Flexibility and willingness to work under pressure to deadlines
- Enthusiasm and motivation to be a performance-driven team player and leader.
- Experience of taking responsibility for leading and enhancing programmes in a dynamic environment
- Effective decision making skills.
Location and Start Date
Location: UWE Bristol’s International College, Frenchay Campus, Coldharbour Lane, Bristol BS16 1QY
Start Date: from October 2019
Application method and closing date
This appointment will be subject to clearance from the Declaration and Barring Service. Employment is conditional upon successful completion of DBS and professional reference checks. Applicants must be able to provide proof of eligibility to work in the UK.
If you have the requisite experience and are excited by the opportunity of working with a dynamic group of professionals in a growing organisation please apply via our online application form with your CV and covering letter.
Closing date: Friday 6th September 2019 - 9am