The Technical Authors are responsible for developing the documentation standards and maintaining a range of documentation to these standards. The scope of the documentation covers internal technical document developed alongside Nomad Products from the R&D, DevOps and Product teams, customer facing Product documentation and assisting with the maintenance of a large corpus of existing documentation, devising and creating new documentation outputs and improving existing processes.
As a member of the Technical Author team you will be responsible for gathering requirements from your customers and working with the Head of Product Management to set priorities and deadlines. As a Technical Author you will be responsible for assisting in developing, implementing and managing the creation and maintenance of a suite of technical documentation, as well as building and maintaining document repositories in SharePoint, Wikis or other knowledge management systems, and improving existing processes.
- Reviewing documentation standards and processes and looking to continually improve these
- Maintaining a large amount of existing documentation, input to devising and creating new documentation outputs and improving existing processes. Duties will include: Writing, re-writing, editing and proofreading technical documents, promotional products, online content, internal publications and business development deliverables
- Completing any phases of a document development lifecycle as requested
- Developing, recommending and implementing technical documentation process and policy changes Documenting Nomad solutions with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio and Publisher) and technical publishing tools such as Wikis
- Updating and assisting development of the company’s documentation templates
- Working with internal customers to agree requirements and to review options, drafts and final document reviews.
- Working with the Marketing team to agree naming, branding and identity standards
- Formatting documents in accordance with appropriate specifications, style and branding
- Conducting quality control checks to ensure compliance with guidelines, specifications and deadlines
- Working within JIRA to maintain work and status of activities
Experience / Qualifications Required
• Technical, Technical Writing, Communications Design or related qualification
- The successful candidate will have some experience related to the designing and writing of business process- orientated documentation that is audience appropriate, in addition to delivering to strict deadlines.
• User requirements gathering
• Collating, editing and proofing others’ material into consistent documentation sets
• Content structuring and writing methods
• Procedure writing
• Original writing of technical and engineering material
• Ability to translate technical information into content suitable for the relevant audience of documents
About Nomad Digital
Nomad Digital is the world’s leading provider of passenger and fleet connectivity solutions to the railway industry. It offers a broad solutions portfolio to both train operators and builders that significantly enhances the passenger experience, and increases fleet operational efficiency. Its integrated and scalable solutions include the multi-award winning and patent-protected Passenger WiFi, enabling seamless connectivity with the internet and on-board infotainment. In addition, its Passenger Information System for live journey, multi-media information and Passenger Portal Framework simplifies the creation of custom portals for on-board services and entertainment. And Nomad’s Remote Online Condition Monitoring, Driver Assist and Power Train products are targeted at identifying efficient fleet maintenance operations and improving fuel economy. Nomad is the pioneer of the Networked Train – a shared and secure internet-standards based network infrastructure to which all authorised on-board systems and passenger devices may connect. Nomad is an international business, with sales and service centres in several locations around the world and product development facilities in the UK (Newcastle), Germany (Hildesheim) and Portugal (Porto). Founded in 2002 and headquartered in the United Kingdom, the company serves more than 80+ global customers, in more than 40 countries, including train builders such as Bombardier, Hitachi and Alstom, and train operating companies such as ÖBB, Amtrak, VIA Rail, Eurostar, GWR, NS, NSB, PKP, Queensland Rail, and Virgin Trains. Nomad Digital is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Alstom.