The Senior Associate performs several core functions central to the success of Rainforest Alliance’s Latin America strategy. S/he will enhance program efficiency, alignment and operational capacity by coordinating key strategic planning and reporting processes, in collaboration with the Latin America Regional Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) Manager and relevant staff. As part of this work s/he will be directly responsible for executing several technical activities with the Latin America Director or his delegate. S/he will enhance Rainforest Alliance’s visibility and profile as a thought-leader by serving as lead writer/co-author of success stories, technical publications, and articles with Latin America Senior staff. S/he will advance Rainforest Alliance’s fundraising and business development efforts by serving as regional technical coordinator and writer for regional proposals to companies and donors. To achieve this s/he will coordinate closely with regional subject matter leads, country leads and/or global counterparts.
Latin America Program Coordination and Technical Implementation (40%)
- Working hand-in-hand with the Latin America Director and M&E Manager, develop and co-ordinate programmatic processes including: internal reporting; standardizing indicator collection across the full portfolio of work; technical quality control revisions; and knowledge-sharing;
- Working hand-in-hand with the Latin America Director, coordinate preparation, execution and follow-up actions of in-person departmental planning & strategic workshops, and periodic discussion fora (i.e. biweekly management calls, etc). This includes workshop facilitation and documenting/disseminating outcomes to relevant stakeholders and on Rainforest Alliance’s intranet;
- Take full leadership of 1-2 priority Latin America annual technical workplan activities (i.e. develop a case study and/or deliver specialized training workshops) from design to finalization;
- Serve as primary departmental liaison with one or more global functional departments;
- Conduct targeted research and outreach on key trends and issues, share insights; and
- Backstop other program operations as needed.
Program External Engagement (30%)
- Author articles for publication on the Rainforest Alliance and partner websites;
- Co-author op-eds, position papers and/or other technical publications, working under the guidance of senior regional staff;
- Develop presentations;
- Support the Director of Partnerships and/or Country Leads to advance Ranforest Alliance-convened regional partnership networks; and
- Monitor results of strategic regional multi-stakeholder platforms and offer insights to Rainforest Alliance’s work.
Fundraising and Business Development (30%)
- Serve as technical coordinator for a limited number (i.e. 1-3) of high-priority proposals/year, including, i.e: site visits, lead contextual research & situation analysis, develop logframe under direction of country lead, draft narrative sections; and
- Other tasks as assigned by supervisor.
- Bachelors’ or advanced degree in natural resource management, forestry, agriculture, climate change or a related field, or equivalent professional experience.
- At least 5-7 years’ experience in the development and execution of market-based conservation initiatives.
- Direct experience in preparing and implementing partnerships funded by bi-lateral and multi-lateral organizations and companies preferred.
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Fully English-Spanish bilingual, with demonstrated capacity for publication-quality writing in English (i.e. high-quality donor reports or publications).
- Demonstrated critical-thinking and problem-solving ability. Demonstrated ability to work effectively independently and as part of a team;
- Commitment to the Rainforest Alliance mission and values
- Ability to travel a minimum of 20% per year, nationally and internationally.
Only candidates authorized to work in Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Peru will be considered.
The Rainforest Alliance is an equal opportunity employer.