The Sustainable Agriculture Senior Associate is responsible for the training and monitoring of partners implementing the UTZ and the new Rainforest Alliance certification program in Brazil and occasionally other countries in the region. She/He reports directly to the Country Director, contributes to the implementation of the country strategy and to the different interventions planned in the country including existing and new projects. The Sustainable Agriculture Senior Associate facilitates training workshops, develops training materials and provides guidance for certificate holders and local key stakeholders.
- Be a point of contact for farmers and stakeholders in Brazil and occasionally to other countries in the region; answering technical questions about the certification program;
- Point of contact regarding the certification standard for certified members and the general public in Brazil;
- Direct and enable Training of Trainers (ToT) workshops; promoting the Rainforest Alliance training tools, including the training platform, monitoring the use of these tools;
- Be a point of contact for the staff and representatives of the Rainforest Alliance to provide technical input for the new RA Standard (Farming WG) as well as for the certificate holders on the use of the RA traceability platform (Good Inside Portal and/or Multitrace);
- Be the 'eyes and ears' of the certification programs (pm UTZ and pm RA) in the field to help detect systemic problems related to the needs of training, compliance and effectiveness of the audits, being proactive in mitigating risks and continuously improving the certification program;
- Implementation and monitoring of the Quality of Implementation program (QoI);
- Develop training materials in coordination with the Rainforest Alliance Training area;
- Point of contact for trainings, standard issues and assurance topics;
- Be a key innovator in agricultural certification; systematizing the comments of farmers about their experience with the program, providing valuable experience and ideas to promote continuous improvement in our work;
- Lead and facilitate any process or analysis required for the subsequent development of the certification program, including the planning and design of the methodological script;
- Improve the positioning of the certification program in ( FILL) sectors through the provision of technical expertise in meetings with stakeholders and key companies, participation in conferences, technical meetings, platforms and alliances, field visits to companies, etc;
- In close coordination with the Country Director, design new field projects that will generate more certification work / sustainable supply chains and integrating it through certification into our broader innovation themes, such as sustainable finance and approaches of landscape;
- Contribute to the implementation of the Landscape Standard and provide information to the Country Director.
- Generate stories and field case studies for use in RA Communication and Fundraising;
- Support the Market department in specific activities.
- Minimum Bachelor´s degree in relevant field such as agriculture, agronomy, environmental science or other related disciplines
- Minimum experience of 5 years in field work, preferably in the coffee, cocoa and/or fruits sector.
- Experience with certification programs.
- Knowledge of good agricultural practices in the coffee, cocoa and/or fruits sector
- Proven experience in training and capacity building for adults
- Proven track record in the development of training materials
- Indispensable to be fluent in Portuguese and English (written and verbal). Spanish is desired
- Brazilian nationality or valid work permit
- Availability to travel around 50% of the time
Commensurate with experience.
Only candidates authorized to work in Brazil will be considered.
The Rainforest Alliance is an equal opportunity employer.