The objective of the Senior Associate Child Labor West Africa is to lead and provide input into regional child labor strategies and implementation of programs and certification activities tackling child labor. This includes the following:
- Coordinate Rainforest Alliance's strategy and the implementation of projects tackling child labor in West Africa;
- Contribute to program, project, and proposal design and development for child labor interventions in the region
- Develop and support training and learning opportunities on child labor for fellow Rainforest Alliance staff, certificate holders, government and NGO partners and certification bodies
- Deliver training and learning opportunities
- Responsible for coordination with key actors in the field of child labor, including government officials in Ghana and Côte d’Ivoire, ILO, ICI, UNICEF, other civil society partners, including Save the Children etc.
The Senior Associate, Child Labor will report to the Director West Africa as well as to the Global Lead for Child Labor. S/he will be part of the regional West African team and will participate in and contribute to child labor specific meetings and occasionally, when deemed necessary, to overall theme and partnership team meetings.
- Ensure strategy and projects to tackle child labor are implemented according to budget and timeframe;
- Support regional teams with technical capacity on child labor to ensure effective implementation of our child labor requirements by certified farms and Certification Bodies;
- Adapt / further develop training materials on child labor for our farms, Certification Bodies, civil society and other partners, with input from global child labor lead, for Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana and other countries in West Africa;
- Adapt international tools and guidelines to West Africa context, including awareness raising materials and short documents for our farms, CBs, business partners, NGOs and governments;
- Coordinate with government departments responsible for child labor monitoring and child labor national action plans as well as with civil society led and businesses to ensure our programs and activities are integrated with national and cocoa specific action plans;
- Contribute to proposal development for programs tackling child labor in West Africa, with Tailored Programs and Institutional Relations;
- Contribute to Rainforest Alliance regional strategy and country annual plans; and
- Contribute to internal and external learning on effectiveness of strategies to tackle child labor (e.g. CLMRS, CLFZ, community-based approaches).
- Masters degree with expertise in social / development / legal field, with at least 5 years project management / advisory experience in similar field;
- At least 5 years’ experience managing consultants and multiple projects simultaneously with specific experience working with cocoa farmers and communities essential, including in private and NGO sector;
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint;
- Excellent writing, editing and verbal communication skills;
- Written and verbal proficiency in French and English essential
- Strong organizational skills to manage multiple priorities in a time sensitive manner, AND Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to interact culturally, linguistically, and diplomatically with diverse internal and external individuals.
- Takes initiative, self-motivated, resourceful, detail-oriented, dependability, strong attention to detail; and
- Ability to travel a minimum of 30% per year, in Ghana and Côte d’Ivoire but also to other countries.
Only candidates authorized to work in Ivory Coast will be considered for the position.
Deadline to apply:
February 20, 2020
Full-time; one year employment with possibility to renew