Assistant General Counsel
About Rainforest Alliance:
At the Rainforest Alliance, we are building an alliance to create a better future for people and nature by making responsible business the new normal. To advance our mission, we focus on amplifying our impact on the ground through systemic transformation: change across the entire supply chain, change in the relationship between people and nature, and change within our own organization. We achieve this transformation by working in collaboration with a wide range of stakeholders to create a stronger Alliance. Together, we amplify the voices of farmers and forest communities, improve livelihoods, protect biodiversity, and help people adapt to climate change in bold and effective ways. We embrace transparency because we believe that the best way to build trust across our alliance is through openness about our tactics, our impact, and partners on the ground. Together, we can achieve our vision of a world where people and nature thrive in harmony.
The Assistant General Counsel will be a corporate generalist and will provide legal support to the organization’s global operations across a broad range of legal areas. The Assistant General Counsel will work closely with the General Counsel and the rest of the Office of the General Counsel, senior management, board of directors, outside legal counsel and employees at all levels of the organization around the world.
- Review, draft and negotiate a variety of contracts (including, for example, collaborations with other organizations and fee-for-service, employment, consultant, federal and international grant programs, non-disclosure, and licensing agreements)
- Support Rainforest Alliance’s risk management and compliance efforts across the organization
- Provide support as necessary in connection with establishment, operation of and other issues relating to subsidiaries and other affiliates
- Advise on structuring and negotiation of new initiatives and contractual relationships
- Advise and assist the Human Resources department on domestic and international employment matters, including potential disputes and handbooks, codes and agreements
- Assist in global management of trademark and intellectual property portfolio including registrations, disputes and licensing
- Advise global staff on compliance, data privacy and tax matters
- Advise staff and board of directors on risk assessment and governance matters for parent corporation and international subsidiaries and branches
- Assist in managing disputes and provide oversight and coordinate outside counsel advice on litigation
- Manage relationships with pro bono and other outside attorneys
- Assist with improvement of contract templates and procedures with a view to standardization and efficiency
- Coordinate staff training in use of contract templates and related procedures and other legal topics
- Develop policies and procedures for compliance and risk management
- Juris Doctorate degree (or its equivalent) and admittance to bar in New York State
- Minimum 4 years of relevant experience, including at least two years of experience as an attorney at a law firm.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Familiarity with contract creation and negotiation and general business law
- Excellent verbal and written communication and project management skills
- Strong affinity for sustainability and corporate social responsibility
Commensurate with experience.
Temporary to Permanent
Aug 31, 2020
Only candidates authorized to work in US will be considered
The Rainforest Alliance is an equal opportunity employer.