Senior Associate, Agriculture, Training & Certification
Responsible for the training and monitoring of partners implementing the UTZ and the new Rainforest Alliance certification program in Honduras 50% and occasionally other countries in the region (30% Guatemala and 20% Salvador). He reports directly to the Country director, contributes to the implementation of the country strategy and to the different interventions planned in the country including existing and new projects. The Senior Associate, Agriculture, Training and Certification facilitates training workshops, develops training materials and provides guidance for certificate holders and local key stakeholders.
The Senior Associate, Agriculture, Training and Certification must allocate at least 80% of his/her time in the field in the different countries assigned.
Provide training and information about the UTZ and RA certification program
- Be a point of contact for farmers and stakeholders in the region (Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador); answering technical questions about the certification program;
- Point of contact the certification standard for certified members and the general public in (Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador);
- Direct and enable Training of Trainers (ToT) workshops; promoting the Rainforest Alliance training tools, including the training platform, monitoring the use of these tools;
- Be a point of contact for the staff and representatives of the Rainforest Alliance to provide technical input for the new RA Standard (Farming WG) as well as for the certificate holders on the use of the RA traceability platform (Good Inside Portal and/or Multitrace);
- Be the 'eyes and ears' of the certification programs (pm UTZ and pm RA) in the field to help detect systemic problems related to the needs of training, compliance and effectiveness of the audits, being proactive in mitigating risks and continuously improving the certification program;
- Implementation and monitoring of the Quality of Implementation program (QoI);
- Develop training materials in coordination with the Rainforest Alliance Training area;
- Point of contact for trainings, standard issues and assurance topics;
- Be a key innovator in agricultural certification; systematizing the comments of farmers about their experience with the program, providing valuable experience and ideas to promote continuous improvement in our work;
- Lead and facilitate any process or analysis required for the subsequent development of the certification program, including the planning and design of the methodological script;
- Improve the positioning of the certification program in coffee, cocoa, fruit sectors through the provision of technical expertise in meetings with stakeholders and key companies, participation in conferences, technical meetings, platforms and alliances, field visits to companies, etc.;
- In close coordination with the Country Director, design new field projects that will generate more certification work / sustainable supply chains and integrating it through certification into our broader innovation themes, such as sustainable finance and approaches of landscape; and
- Contribute to the implementation of the Landscape Standard and provide information to the Country Director.
Representation and communication
- Generate stories and field case studies for use in RA Communication and Fundraising; and
- Support the Market department in specific activities.
- Bachelor ́s degree preferably in relevant field such as agriculture, development economics, environmental science or other related disciplines
- Minimum five years’ experience, in specified field. At least 3 years of experience in the coffee and/or cocoa sector and preferably experience with certification programs.
- Knowledge of good agricultural practices in the coffee and/or cocoa sector (mainly). Knowledge of standard issues and assurance topics required knowledge of RA and UTZ certification standard is a must. Proven experience in training and capacity building for adults. Knowledge of extension methodologies. Proven track record in the development of training materials.
- Written and verbal proficiency in English.
- Ability to travel up to 80% per year, nationally and internationally. Location preferably in the western area of Honduras
- Excellent writing, editing and verbal communication skills.
Commensurate with experience.
Mar 13, 2020
Only candidates authorized to work in Honduras will be considered
The Rainforest Alliance is an equal opportunity employer.