Director, Asia Pacific
At the Rainforest Alliance, we are building an alliance to create a better future for people and nature by making responsible business the new normal. To advance our mission, we focus on amplifying our impact on the ground through systemic transformation: change across the entire supply chain, change in the relationship between people and nature, and change within our own organization. We achieve this transformation by working in collaboration with a wide range of stakeholders to create a stronger Alliance. Together, we amplify the voices of farmers and forest communities, improve livelihoods, protect biodiversity, and help people adapt to climate change in bold and effective ways. We embrace transparency because we believe that the best way to build trust across our alliance is through openness about our tactics, our impact, and partners on the ground. Together, we can achieve our vision of a world where people and nature thrive in harmony.
The Director, Asia Pacific, provides leadership and manages the strategic planning, fundraising and implementation of Rainforest Alliance’s activities in Asia Pacific, to protect nature and improve the lives of farmers, workers and forest communities. S/he connects the institutional strategies of driving landscape and sector transformation and leads program design and implementation, with a focus on Indonesia, India, Sri Lanka, China, Vietnam and Turkey.
Hereto, the Director builds synergies between the Landscapes & Communities programs, the certification program and wider sector transformation work. S/he coordinates with other Rainforest Alliance departments to maximize impact and delivery on the institutional strategic priorities in the region. S/he is responsible for representing the Rainforest Alliance and building alliances with a wide range of stakeholders, including governments, bilateral and multilateral agencies, corporations, multi-stakeholder organizations, industry associations, civil society organizations and regional bodies.
This position supervises the country directors in the region and staff providing key services to the region.
Leadership and Management
- Lead, support, motivate and inspire the Asia Pacific team;
- Bring the Asia Pacific work of the Rainforest Alliance together in a solid regional, strategic approach, enabling its strategic growth;
- Support the country directors to develop their strategies and annual plans and budgets, in line with institutional priorities and local context;
- Ensure effective and impactful design and implementation of Rainforest Alliance programs, fostering a culture of excellence, innovation, compliance and learning;
- Collaborate with other departments to ensure the effective embedding and implementation of their work in the region;
- Work closely with the Africa and Latin America Directors to ensure consistency of Rainforest Alliance work across countries;
- Ensure effective communications with the broader organization and externally;
- Identify and manage financial, legal, and technical risks and escalate issues appropriately; and
- Collaborate with Rainforest Alliance leadership to represent the organization;
External Engagement, Fundraising and Business Development
- Develop and maintain relationships with partners, companies, platforms, NGOs, governments, certification bodies and other stakeholders;
- Promote Rainforest Alliance’s service offerings and impacts;
- Represent Rainforest Alliance at key events, presentations, policy forums and roundtables;
- Develop and secure long-term funding for Landscapes & Communities’ programs in designated countries (currently Indonesia, India and Vietnam), creating synergies with certification programs to increase impact for farmers, workers and forest communities;
- Support the certification program in such way that it delivers on its commitments in a credible and transparent way;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in a relevant discipline;
- At least 15 years of relevant professional experience, developing and executing department level strategy and budgets and leading a multi-cultural team;
- International work experience based in the region;
- Boots on the ground experience working with farmers or forest communities;
- At least 5 years direct experience in preparing and implementing grants funded by bilateral and multilateral organizations and companies;
- Knowledge and understanding of voluntary certification programs;
- Decisive leader with a positive, friendly and collaborative attitude, committed to the Rainforest Alliance values of trust, openness, collaboration, change and impact;
- Strong organizational skills to manage multiple priorities in a time sensitive manner.
- Excellent writing, editing and verbal communication skills, written and verbal proficiency in English is required;
- Ability to travel a minimum of 25% per year, nationally and internationally.
Commensurate with experience.
Deadline: Aug 31, 2020
Only candidates authorized to work in Indonesia and India will be considered
The Rainforest Alliance is an equal opportunity employer.
If you have any questions about the job vacancy, please contact the HR department: firstname.lastname@example.org