Manager, Institutional Relations
At the Rainforest Alliance, we are building an alliance to create a better future for people and nature by making responsible business the new normal. To advance our mission, we focus on amplifying our impact on the ground through systemic transformation: change across the entire supply chain, change in the relationship between people and nature, and change within our own organization. We achieve this transformation by working in collaboration with a wide range of stakeholders to create a stronger Alliance. Together, we amplify the voices of farmers and forest communities, improve livelihoods, protect biodiversity, and help people adapt to climate change in bold and effective ways. We embrace transparency because we believe that the best way to build trust across our alliance is through openness about our tactics, our impact, and partners on the ground. Together, we can achieve our vision of a world where people and nature thrive in harmony.
Reporting to the Global Director, Institutional Relations (IR) and working as part of an international team of fundraising professionals, the Manager, Institutional Relations will be charged with growing relationships and securing funding from corporate and private foundations, as well as multilateral and bilateral agencies. They will work closely with program and finance staff to develop detailed fundraising strategies, position Rainforest Alliance for funding opportunities accordingly, and submit grant applications with the goal of meeting short-term revenue targets and adding to the long-term pipeline of institutional funding for future years. The Manager, Institutional Relations will maintain a distinct donor portfolio with emphasis on U.S. Government and U.S.-based private foundations. They will also help ensure high-quality and timely reporting to IR donors.
- Manage a distinct donor portfolio with focus on U.S. Government and U.S.-based private foundations.
- Write, adapt and edit proposals, reports, and concept papers for international field projects and programs, working closely with program staff and field teams to do so;
- Proactively identify new funding sources to help ensure growth of healthy financial pipeline for future years;
- Advance and implement strategy to secure bilateral and multilateral funding, as well as foundation revenue, with specific fundraising targets identified for the short and long term;
- Work across the institution to ensure that IR fundraising strategies complement Rainforest Alliance’s programmatic goals and help achieve impact at scale desired;
- Engage regularly with contacts at key donor agencies/foundations in relation to funding opportunities in the areas of international development, poverty alleviation, and environmental conservation;
- Carefully manage all funders and prospects in their portfolio, tracking budgetary projections for each within Salesforce;
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s Degree preferred
- Minimum of 6 years’ institutional development experience with at least 3 in a large, global organization;
- Must be a strong writer that is detail oriented, resourceful, and able to work under tight deadlines;
- Significant experience working with both private foundations and bilaterals/multilaterals;
- Clear ability to understand and articulate complex programmatic material in a detailed manner both internally and externally, and to audiences with different levels of background in these areas;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, as well as be an effective team member;
- Experience with/knowledge of conservation and/or community development issues required;
- Oral and written Spanish language fluency strongly preferred; French language skills a plus;
- Strong budgeting skills required;
- High degree of skill in using MS Office Suite (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) required;
- Experience with Salesforce preferred; and
- Ability to travel up to 15% of time.
Commensurate with experience.
DEADLINE: October 31 , 2020
Only candidates authorized to work in US will be considered.
We have contracted with Aveen Colgan of Rua Consultant to conduct this search. They will be the first point of contact if your qualification match this role.
The Rainforest Alliance encourages diversity and inclusion across the global organization. With this commitment to diversity, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, ages, disability and any other protected group.