Markets Manager, Guatemala
At the Rainforest Alliance, we are building an alliance to create a better future for people and nature by making responsible business the new normal. We work at the intersection of business, agriculture, and forests. By bringing diverse allies together, we are making deep-rooted change on some of the most pressing social and environmental issues of our time. Together, we protect forests, improve the livelihoods of farmers and forest communities, promote their human rights, and help them mitigate and adapt to the climate crisis. To advance our mission, we focus on amplifying our impact on the ground through systemic transformation: change across the entire supply chain, change in the relationship between people and nature, and change within our own organization. We achieve this transformation by working in collaboration with a wide range of stakeholders to create a stronger Alliance. Together, we amplify the voices of farmers and forest communities, improve livelihoods, protect biodiversity, and help people adapt to climate change in bold and effective ways.
The Markets Manager, Guatemala is responsible for building market linkages between Guatemalan agriculture and forestry businesses and US & Canadian companies. The Markets Manager is directly responsible for ensuring that the Rainforest Alliance meets/exceeds sales and private investment targets outlined in contractual commitments with donor partners.
This role will focus approximately 50% time on market building for coffee, cocoa & spices such as turmeric and cardamom, and 50% of time on a range of timber and non-timber forest products (NTFPs) like honey, and ramon nuts.
Planning and reporting (20%):
- Working hand-in-hand with Guatemala staff and USA-Canada Markets counterparts, develop 2-year plan and periodic short-range work plans to ensure that the Rainforest Alliance meets/exceeds sales and private investment targets set forth in donor annual work plans and contractual obligations.
- Create a “menu” of offerings highlighting the Guatemalan communities we are working with and the products & crops they have available to the market.
- Produce written updates and reports, as solicited.
- Participate fully in all CNCG team discussion spaces, planning and strategy sessions.
Market intelligence (10%):
- Advise Guatemalan businesses and communities (cardamom, coffee, cocoa, timber and other NTFPs) on USA-Canada supply chain dynamics, import-export procedures, and market trends/demands
- Review business plans and provide strategic recommendations to support further USA-Canada market penetration.
Business development (50%):
- Based on existing and projected product supply, and projected investment needs (i.e. infrastructure, working capital, equipment,business expansion) of Guatemalan community businesses, identify target list of potential USA & Canadian buyers.
- Present community based investment & sourcing opportunities to potential buyers
- Facilitate community investment, and product sourcing from USA-Canada buyers.
- Manage and grow company relationships over time.
- Coordinate and execute field visits amongst interested parties, as conditions permit.
Deal facilitation (20%):
- Facilitate the investment process – ideation; design; execution; ongoing relationship management – with partners.
- Work to develop long term sourcing relationships and agreements with buyers
- Work with Marketing and Communication Teams to develop marketing and storytelling materials
- Other tasks as assigned by supervisor.
- Bachelors’ or advanced degree in marketing, business, supply chain logistics, or related field.
- At least 5-7 years’ experience in marketing and business development for agroforestry products in US markets.
- Experience living/working in Latin America.
- Experience developing market sales initiatives in partnership with producer communities;
- Experience with strategy development and implementation highly preferred;
- Technical Skills/Qualifications/Certifications:
- Demonstrated ability to close deals.
- Communication Skills:
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to build rapport.
- Strong “active listening” skills.
- Fully English-Spanish bilingual.
- General Work Behaviors/Skills:
- Demonstrated critical-thinking and problem-solving ability.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively independently and as part of a team.
- Self-starter who can build internal coalitions to advance their agenda.
- Requirements related to our mission: commitment to the RA mission and values
- Travel Requirements: Ability to travel a minimum of 20% per year, nationally and internationally (conditions permitting).
Commensurate with experience.
Deadline: October 2, 2020
The Rainforest Alliance encourages diversity and inclusion across the global organization. With this commitment to diversity, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, ages, disability and any other protected group.
If you have any questions about the job vacancy, please contact the HR department: firstname.lastname@example.org