Are you ready to make a BIG difference at SMALL scale? Sideshow is seeking freelance miniature sculptors to help us bring the creatures and characters from our original properties to life measured in millimeters.
We are looking to meet or exceed the standards set with our larger scale figural projects in the miniatures’ realm, with an emphasis on dynamic visual design and execution.
This position does not require you to be on-site with us, but a portfolio of miniature sculpts must be submitted for us to consider your application. We are accepting both traditional and digital sculpt portfolios.
- Expert sculptor of 28-54 millimeter miniatures that demonstrates understanding of the art fundamentals, including but not limited to: compositional design, lighting and rendering, character design, anatomy, etc.
- Strong visual style, with an ability to deliver crisp, highly detailed final sculpts
- Able to translate a creative brief - written, verbal, and visual with mood-board reference - into an original miniature sculpt that meets that needs defined in the brief
- Must be able to sculpt miniatures based on 2D illustrations, photo reference and/or pre-existing 3D sculpts
- Artistically dexterous - Experience working within multiple brand styles (ie highly stylized vs realistic), as well as generating unique visual identities
- Ability to accurately respond to verbal and visual feedback
- Ability to iterate through multiple review cycles with both creative and non-creative stakeholders without frustration
- Experience with 3D product design in the miniature space, including but not limited to generating pose studies, producing turnarounds, designing for scale and size, and an advanced understanding of production needs
- Experience with plastic tooling for injection-molded miniatures
- Digital sculptors must have mastery of engineering, scaling and optimizing 3D models for output or molding
- Traditional sculptors must be able to engineer and break down sculpts for molding and production efficiency
- Strong self-manager who can manage multiple projects, with creative direction, and deliver quality sculpts on time in a deadline-driven environment
- Imaginative, optimistic problem-solver
- Part-time position
- References Required
Pop Culture is Our Culture: http://www.sideshowtoy.com/careers/
In 1994, Sideshow embarked on a mission of connecting people with their favorite characters and icons from the worlds of film, television, comic books and popular culture. Today, we are a specialty manufacturer and distributor of the most highly sought-after licensed and original collectible products, sustained by a passionate worldwide community that is committed to the lifestyle of collecting figure art. Our headquarters are located in Thousand Oaks, California.