Major Gifts Officer
Who We Are
The Water Project unlocks human potential by building and connecting global networks of local leaders, communities of generous supporters, and an informed public to provide sustainable water and sanitation programs to needlessly suffering communities in developing countries. We are committed to bringing people together to solve the problem of finding clean water. Whether it's our local teams in the field, our international staff, our donors and fundraisers, or the communities we serve - we believe that people are the greatest solution to the water crisis.
Our scrappy and dedicated staff thrives on collaboration with partners and volunteers. We inspire ideas and invent tools that equip our supporters to help people suffering needlessly without clean, safe water. We're a non-profit with the heart of a tech start-up. We tell stories. We strengthen partners. We build solutions. And we change lives, one village at a time.
We also want you and your family to thrive, so we offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, including company-paid medical/dental/vision insurance, 401k match, and a great vacation policy (ask anyone!).
What The Role Is
Imagine being able to create a world where all individuals and families have access to clean water. At The Water Project, every gift helps to do just that.
As an experienced major gifts professional, relationships are at the heart of who you are and what you do. You’re hooked on the joy of helping donors realize the impact philanthropy can and should make in the world.
As a Major Gifts Officer reporting to the Senior Director of Philanthropy, you’ll identify, cultivate, and solicit individual, foundation, and corporate major gift prospects and donors. As an advocate for our mission and programs, you’ll be a frontline fundraiser, strategically building and expanding the major gifts pipeline, deepening giving relationships with those in a position to be most generous. As a key member of the philanthropy team, you’ll be on the front line of organizational impact - speaking into strategies to best serve our donors and those in need of lasting water.
This is a full-time position and you can be located anywhere in the US.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Being a trusted, approachable expert of The Water Project’s global water programs - communicating organizational priorities and program needs, as well as donor impact.
- Raising individual gifts of $10,000 or more and multi-year gifts of 6-figures from existing and acquired donors.
- Managing a portfolio of 200 (and growing) current donors via (at minimum) quarterly contact that includes email, mail, text, phone, video conference, and in-person cultivation.
- Consistently meeting fundraising goals and discovering incremental funding opportunities for the organization.
- Influencing and growing The Water Project’s existing and new donor support within major metropolitan regions - with preference in the West Coast, Texas, or Chicago regions.
- Shaping key philanthropy-related messages through the preparation of proposals, solicitation letters, and other materials for major prospects and donors.
- Accurately maintaining donor records and activities in Salesforce.
Your qualifications must include:
- 3-5 years of direct donor relationship management experience.
- Results-oriented experience in securing major gifts of $10,000 and up from individuals, foundations, and/or corporations.
- Excellent written and verbal communications.
- A winsome, authentic personality.
- A high degree of effective initiative and ability to motivate high-level donors.
- Proven ability to meet year-over-year financial growth in support of the strategic direction of the organization.
- Experience and proficiency using a CRM system (we use Salesforce).
- Solid skills with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and other web-based applications.
- Ability to travel locally/regionally/internationally with donors and prospects.
Who You Are
- Supporters love you - and, in part, likely give because of you. The personal connections you’ve made to serve donors and their philanthropy goals makes you an invaluable resource.
- You love raising money and consistently hit your fundraising goals. You thrive within goals and measurable objectives. You are energized by philanthropic impact.
- Integrity matters. You live an authentic life, and it shows in your communication with others.
- Building trust with donors is at the core of what you do. You constantly think about how to be of service to your donors and are a resource to them, reflecting the values of our mission and organization.
- You ask questions. The right ones, at the right time. Your curiosity allows you to really hear what a person is communicating and be relevant and responsive.
- You think strategically within relationships for the benefit of the donor and the organization.
- You seek to be remarkable in what you do, how you communicate, and the experience you create for donors.
- You have a high level of emotional intelligence and cross-cultural experience.
- You are an individual and team contributor.